Sunday 3 March 2013

Hard to Beet! The DISGUSTING Experiment that could change the way you eat+drink FOREVER!!!!!!


Scientists! aren't they just the greatest?!!!!

When you consider all of the radical things they have collectively done to enrich our everyday lives, it’s hard not to look to them as the ‘messiahs’ of easy living (ooooh controversy! see what I did there?). 

Ok, at this juncture it is probably worth noting that ‘Athletically’ some ‘boffin’ created the logic behind those performance enhancing ‘Power Bands’; although I suspect this was little more than a rubber manufacturer with an oversupply, an evil laugh and a pencil thin moustache!


I’ll give you a pass Science.  

So…..on the whole, stacked up against all the positivity that comes from inventions like ‘light bulbs’, ‘Shazaam’ and ‘The Wheel’, Science on the whole, still holds a fair bit of street cred.

With this in mind it was understandable that, recently, when I had a close friend come up to me telling me that (as a professional coach) his athletes have taken to supplementing their diet with the latest ‘Scientific breakthrough’ from the Australian Institute of Sport, my ears pricked up.

The ‘supplement’ itself sounds intriguing enough;

It’s Beetroot Juice and the mere idea has all of the hallmarks of a fad; Upon initial analysis the whole idea is seemingly odd; unappetizing and obscure enough to promote (with thinly veiled ‘scientific findings’) and market to the masses.

In short, it seems like a perfect way to ‘scam’ easy money, and sell a whole lot of beetroots!

Not surprisingly, I was skeptical to say the least, but I certainly trusted my friend. What a dilemma!

So, I decided to do what every discerning health-conscious person would do, instead of visiting a doctor, or nutritionist, or dietitian, or any expert at all. I went to the net.
From what I can ascertain, the potential benefits of taking beetroot supplements are;

* Lowering of Blood Pressure,

* Increase in Stamina, and

* Better muscle efficiency (particularly for non-elite athletes)

The basic science in this comes from the very high levels of nitrate found in the Beetroot, which is then converted (in your body) to nitrite, then nitric-oxide. The Nitric-oxide supposedly widens your blood vessels, which leads to an increased blood flow, which enables more oxygen rich blood to get to fatiguing muscles. Basically the theory is that drinking a designated amount of Beetroot juice will make your body more efficient, and potentially turn you into a superhero of sorts (without the need for secret identities or spandex, unless that’s your ‘thing’.)


Added to these findings were reports that research studies have recorded such improvements in efficiency ranging all the way up as high as 16%! (The variables of the research, participants, conditions, etc. are a whole other matter!).

Perhaps the most logical conclusion is that these improvements can be attributed to the placebo effect rather than this mysteriously, unappetizing ‘wonder vege’? This is even more understandable when you consider (in regards to running races particularly) no race/competition is the same; variables can come from the weather, course conditions, your mood, the food you eat, your competitors, etc., etc., etc.!

With this in mind, I've decided to take science into my own hands, by consuming regulated doses of Beetroot extract (in the manner and quantity stipulated on the product packaging). In addition to this I plan on monitoring my own personal reactions to the substance, as well as my performance over the course of a month.

Specifically, I shall take 5ml (mixed into 500ml of water) at least 30minutes prior to every race and training session.

My predictions prior to tasting the concoction is that I may need to have an ash tray on hand to lick to get the taste out! 

In regards to performance improvements, I’m trying to remain impartial.

This should be interesting!


Hold your nose! We’re going in!



(Happy running!)

Clay


UPDATE: Since the writing of this article, I’m delighted to say I survived my first ‘dose’ of extract. I will investigate the product and method of use in the future post. However, I did run a ‘race’ with the substance in my system with no noticeable effects (performance-wise), other than a couple of uncomfortable burps midrace and the disturbingly ‘beetrooty’ taste (but who would predict that?!).

With only one dose taken, I will report more as my consumption continues!

It is early days….however, so far nothing overly impressive!



No comments:

Post a Comment