Thursday 27 November 2014

The Three Act Comedy and Tragedy of Marathon Running. PT2: The Brisbane Marathon 2014



The funny thing about us human beings is that we’re stubborn, sadists who crave physical
punishment….

…Don’t agree? Look at the amount of women who have more than one child, and the amount of people who will pay money to pierce and tattoo themselves over, and over….

Then there are those of us who run marathons.

And no-one LOVES running marathons, they’re really, really hard. You spend the whole extended time period trying to maintain a pace that hovers between the fine line of safe physical exertion, and death, whilst negotiating inedible gels and plastic cups of water that are (frankly) nearly impossible to co-ordinate grabbing and drinking...and all of this while still dealing with the constant threat of muscle failure, dehydration, injury AND chafing.

How many of us have made THAT promise to ourselves mid-race?

You know THE promise?

“If you get me through this body, I PROMISE I WILL NEVER do this to you again!”

I have. 

I made that promise in the Blackmores Marathon in 2013, 
then again at the Hobart Marathon in 2014, 
then again at the Gold Coast Marathon in 2014…

...suffice to say my body is probably glad that it has eyes to roll (in disbelief).

Regardless, there is that rare occasion on a training run or, if you are especially lucky, in a race when everything goes so much to plan that you finish your race, sore and tired (because we’re stubborn, sadists who crave punishment remember?” ) but your soul and spirit are soaring and you find yourself high-fiving strangers! What a glorious feeling!!!!

The irony is, for all of the hours, days and years of training…..this feeling is unfairly and disproportionately limited and oh, so rare.

And so….in 2014 I ran the 2014 Brisbane Marathon…




ACT TWO: The Brisbane Marathon Festival

A few weeks later, and notably after a week of snowboarding to cool the severe burns to my ego, I was back and ready to shake it at the event I affectionately refer to as ‘Brisfest’.

I’ve had an awful amount of bad luck with this festival in the past, over the 10km (twice finishing outside of the podium, in disappointing times, in heat and with tears), then last year in the half marathon (where I finished a very humbled 4th behind some quality runners) and with Gold Coast still fresh in my memory I consciously made a concerted effort to relax and not let my imagination get the better of me. I was going to run purely for fun….nothing else.

My lead up had been decent enough too, with a couple of reasonable 10km wins in the weeks preceding the race, but the times weren’t earth shattering, and I certainly wasn’t feeling like a thoroughbred.  

Alas, I approached the start line like a teenager approaches EVERYTHING, aka; with an almost reckless nonchalance and indifference.  A couple of close friends of mine were racing, and whilst my competitive streak would have normally eaten away my stomach with anxiety,  that morning, I stayed true to my promise to myself to ‘run for fun’.

 I can honestly say, I would have been on cloud nine to see ANY of them on the top of the podium and it was really cool to run and share a journey with pals.

So there I stood, totally cool, and promising myself; ‘I’ll give you the first km to do what you want, then after that, let’s see what it feels like to stay consistent, pick a pace and roll through!

Then something magic happened.

I did.

I ran firm, but not hard and hit more of those constant splits than normal, coasting along the race with a smile and enjoyment I’d never felt over 42kms before! And for this I was not only rewarded with a win, but a HUGE pb of 2hours30mins43seconds! My friends (Moritz and Scott) rounded out the podium, which made the day as perfect as could be.

Finally the curse of Brisfest for me had been broken! And whilst I didn’t reward myself with a trip to the snow in New Zealand, I did drag my wife, friends and parents into the ‘Eat Street markets’ to eat a mind-shattering amount of bad food in every second of the 'guilt-free post-marathon period'*.  


With such a race under my belt, I was offered the sweet deal of free accommodation and entry into the Sunshine Coast marathon (set to run a few weeks later)….With my ego at an all-time high, and the knowledge of how to run a solid marathon down, how could I refuse?

But then, things don’t always go as planned right?

(At least I have the photos to prove it! - see the gallery below! Also watch the event highlights video here - I feature - with my good mate Moritz from 1min30 - 1min51)

* FYI - The 'guilt free marathon period' is my idea of heaven, and the reason why the owners in the restaurants where I live have expensive yachts and children with nice teeth.

Till Act III (and beyond), thanks for reading! 
Have fun, stay running & smiling

Clay Dawson
Intraining Sponsored Athlete and proud member of the QLD Running Community











No comments:

Post a Comment